Monday, November 8, 2021

Bracketology is a young man's game

Welcome to another college basketball season.  A preseason bracket should be up today, although we all know the drill by now with those.  The main purpose of it is to try and project how strong conferences are, more than to project any single team.  Pay more attention to the range of seeds from conferences, rather than where individual teams are seeded, or which teams are actually included.

We'll have brief daily updates, god willing, again this year, but we're not going to have the depth of analysis most bracketologists will have.  Fact is, I'm approaching two decades of bracketology, and the young kids have caught up.  When I started, this was a niche field with not many people providing serious analysis.  I saw my role as filling a void of analysis.

Today, that role is very well filled.  Hundreds of solid amateur bracketologists have spouted up across the country, and they can simply do better than what I can provide with my free time and schedule at this point.  It's just a fact.  I don't have the resources to scientifically measure and analyze the teams in the way that they do.  (A lot of this is that this isn't my job - hey, pay me full time to do this and I'd be back to the top).

So it's time to reset expectations for this particular blog.  We're not going to try and compete with the top dogs anymore.  My prime is over.  This is now going to be about trying to find the blind spots that everyone else has, and filling in the gaps best I can.  There's still gonna be bad takes, and bad analysis, and it's my job to help you all not get fooled by it.

Bracket coming before the start of the year.  Expect my traditional multi-bid MAC and all the other preseason bracket bells and whistles you know and love from me.

1 comment:

Bryan Wilson said...

I will continue to visit the blog and gobble up those great insights and blind spots no matter what you put on here, so no worries and keep it up with however you want to continue.